Missing man found dead in Mississippi

Richard “Cory” Baughn

LOWNDES COUNTY , MISS.  - The remains of Richard Cory Baughn, 31, were found with his vehicle in a wooded area near Highways 82 and 45 on Tuesday, November 26, according to a press release issued by the Starkville Police Department.

The Starkville Police Department, with assistance of Lowndes County Sheriff's Office located Baughn's remains after searches spanning several days, including not only law enforcement but volunteers and family members.

“Our thoughts and prayers are with the Baughn family and all affected by the loss of Cory,” the release stated. “We would like to thank everyone for their assistance throughout this time. Please continue to pray for the Baughn family through their time of mourning.”

Daniel Farris, assistant Lynn High School principal and coach, noted that Baughn was year ahead of him in school, graduating in 2006 from LHS.

“Cory was very intelligent and a joy to be around,” Farris stated. “He was always happy and strived to brighten the room with a smile.”

Farris noted the past week of Baughn's disappearance brought much concern and worry from the Lynn community, where Baughn grew up.

That community, Farris added, is now in a state of mourning. “It was tragic news, and my prayers of healing and comfort go out to the family,” Farris said.

The case remains under active investigation by the Lowndes County Sheriff's Office.

The Starkville, Mississippi Police Department had been requesting the public’s help in helping determine the whereabouts of Baughn, of Starkville, Mississippi, originally of Lynn, who was last seen in Starkville on November 12.
Baughn was last seen leaving an apartment on November 12, and was believed to have left Starkville, traveling east on Highway 82, according to a Missing Person’s report being circulated by the Starkville Police Department.
Police had given a description of Baughn’s white 2005 Nissan 350Z that he was believed at the time to be driving, reports indicated.
Reports indicated Baughn’s phone pinged in Columbus, Mississippi early on November 13.

See complete story in the Northwest Alabamian.
Subscribe now!