DOUBLE SPRINGS - The Winston County Commission approved the following items during their Feb. 24, meeting:
• Ratified and confirmed a letter in support of the Alabama Forestry Foundation’s project titled Restoring Connectivity and improving Habitat in Priority Streams and Riparian Forests in Winston County.
• Entered an agreement with Ingenuity for a new software program for the Probate Judge’s office. The installation fee will be $21,000 and will be paid through the motor vehicle special training trust fund and amending the budget.
• Accepted the resignation of Shawn Long as a clerk at the Winston County Probate Judge’s office, effective Feb. 24.
• Approved Joe Jolly & Co. to proceed with refinancing the county’s 2015 general bond issue.
Commissioners added two items to the agenda during the meeting. The first was to advertise for full time and part time slingers and to extend the application period for full time and part time truck driver/slingers. Applicants must have a Class B CDL to be considered.
In road department matters, the commission approved the following:
• Medical leave for Jason Berry until June 1;
• Declared surplus two Mack tri-axle dump trucks to be sold at auction. Ritchie Brothers Auctioneers will handle the auction. The county must be guaranteed a price of $280,000 and will receive at least 90 percent if any gross sales over $315,000 during the auction.
• Purchased two Mack tri-axle dump trucks from Nextran Truck Centers for a total price of $298,574.
• Accepting applications for a temporary position serviceman/operator for District II. A CDL will be required for consideration. The pay rate will be based on the applicant’s experience.
• Awarded the bid for a shop pickup to Terry Lewis for a 2003 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 HD for $5,500.
• Tabled an option to void an agreement with the Poplar Ridge at Hidden Falls Homeowners Association to accept the subdivision’s roads as county roads at the end of a five year agreement, at the request of the homeowners association. The original agreement was dated November, 15, 2016.
• Approved County Engineer James Glasgow and Assistant Engineer Chris Wilbanks to attend the County Government Education Institute personnel administration class scheduled for April 8-9, at the Montgomery Marriott Prattville Hotel and Conference Center in Prattville.
See complete story in the Northwest Alabamian.