CONSERVATION AND NATURAL
RESOURCES STATE LANDS
INVITATION FOR BIDS FOR TIMBER SALE ON CERTAIN STATE LANDS IN WINSTON COUNTY,
Notice is hereby given to all interested parties that sealed bids for the purchase and removal of timber will be received by the Commissioner of the Department of Conservation and Natural Resources (DCNR) until 2:00 P.M. June 4, 2020 at which time all bids will be publicly opened and read in the office of the State Lands Division (SLD), 464 Folsom Administrative Building, 64 North Union St., Montgomery, Alabama 36130-1901. If ADA accommodations are needed as to attending the bid opening, please contact Delicia Baker at (334) 242-3484. Requests should be made as soon as possible but at least seven days prior to the date of the bid opening.
The timber made the subject of this notice is located on the following described lands:
Winston County, Alabama, Township 12 South, Range 9 West; the Southeast ¼ of the Southeast ¼ of Section 13, containing 37 acres more or less to be clearcut.
VOLUMES: The estimated product class timber volumes are as follows:
Hardwood Pulpwood 898 TONS
Hardwood Sawtimber 990 TONS
Volumes are not guaranteed and all bidders must satisfy themselves as to the accuracy of estimated quantity.
TIMBER: The timber to be cut is all merchantable pine and hardwood within the sale area. The external boundaries of the sale area are yellow painted property boundaries and a blue painted Streamside Management Zone as shown on the sale area map. Streamside Management Zones are not included in the sale area.
TERMS OF SALE: Each bid submitted must state the total amount of the cash bid for the entire tract pursuant to a contract authorizing the cutting and removal of timber until May 31, 2021.
BID SUBMITTAL: Submitted bids must be clearly marked on the outside of the envelope "SEALED BID FOR TIMBER SALE, WINSTON COUNTY KILGORE 40 TRACT , NOT TO BE OPENED UNTIL JUNE 4, 2020 AT 2:00 P.M." and mailed to: State Lands Division, Room 464, Folsom Administrative Building, 64 North Union Street, Montgomery, Alabama 36130-1901.
ATTENTION: PLEASE NOTE THAT ALL BIDS MUST BE SUBMITTED SPECIFICALLY TO THE STATE LANDS DIVISION OFFICE AT 64 NORTH UNION STREET, ROOM 464, FOLSOM ADMINISTRATIVE BUILDING, MONTGOMERY, ALABAMA 36130-1901 (36104 IF DELIVERED BY PRIVATE COURIER).
NO BID SHALL BE RECEIVED FOR ANY REASON ANY TIME AFTER THE ADVERTISED DEADLINE. IT SHALL BE THE SOLE RESPONSIBILITY OF THE BIDDER TO ENSURE ACTUAL RECEIPT OF THE BID BY THE STATE LANDS DIVISION PRIOR TO THE ADVERTISED DEADLINE.
Bids submitted must be accompanied by a CERTIFIED or CASHIER’S CHECK representing a bid deposit in the amount of $10,000.00. Bids submitted without such check will not be considered. Certain landowner assistance is required in addition to the payment of the bid price. Unsuccessful bidder's deposits will be returned. The successful bidder's deposit will be applied toward the purchase price.
The successful bidder (if any) shall be required to pay the cost (approximately $1,000.00) of advertising this invitation for bids.
LANDOWNER ASSISTANCE: The successful bidder will be obligated to perform the following work as additional contract consideration:
1. At the completion of the harvesting operation contractor shall remove any obstacle that protrudes across tract boundaries. This shall include removal of tops, whole trees or other debris, natural or man-made, resulting from the harvest operation or prior to harvest. At the discretion of SLD personnel, contractor may be required to reopen an existing eight-foot wide firebreak along all tract boundaries. This shall include removal of tops and other debris resulting from the harvest operation and/or removal of existing vegetation to make it accessible for use as a firebreak.
CONTRACT TERMS: Any sale shall be on the terms of the DCNR’s Timber Sale Agreement, and shall include the following:
1. The contractor must make provisions for access to the property. Roads will be left in as good or better condition than existed at the time harvesting activity begins.
2. The contractor will be required to post security for performance in the amount of $10,000.00. The required security may be in the form of a certified check, a standby irrevocable letter of credit with a bank approved by the SLD, or a surety bond with a company authorized to do business within the State of Alabama.
3. The contractor shall have until May 31, 2021 to cut and remove the timber.
4. The contractor shall be required to comply with Alabama’s Best Management Practices for Forestry, specifically including, but not limited to, Forested Wetland Management objectives as outlined in Chapter 6 of Alabama’s Best Management Practices for Forestry. Harvesting during wet periods may cause unwanted landscape impacts such as rutting, puddling and compaction. To ensure minimization of impacts, harvesting may be halted during periods of soil saturation, at the discretion of the Land Management Officer or Forester.
The successful bidder must execute and return the contract to the DCNR within ten days following the date of receipt; otherwise, the award may be deemed to have been withdrawn and the deposit forfeited to the State.
All laws of the State of Alabama concerning the sale of timber from state properties shall govern this sale whether or not included in this notice. The DCNR does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, age, sex, pregnancy, national origin, genetic information, veteran status, or disability in its hiring practices or employment practices nor in admission to, access to, or operations of its programs, services, or activities.
DCNR reserves the right to reject any and all bids.
Unless specifically provided otherwise in subsequent corrective advertisement, the terms and conditions as stated in this notice shall be controlling over this transaction.
Persons desiring to inspect the timber or to receive a sale area map may contact the State Lands Division at (334) 242-3484. The sale area map is also available online at http://www.outdooralabama.com/public-notices/timber-sales/.
Christopher M. Blankenship,
Conservation and Natural Resources
SA_May 20, 27