- Horace Moore, Publisher
- Mike Moore, General Manager
- Shelly Hess, Managing Editor - Northwest Alabamian
- Roger Carden, Advertising Director - Northwest Alabamian
- Les Walters, Associate Publisher - Journal Record
- Kristi White, Advertising Director - Journal Record
- Jesse Lamar, General Manager - Journal Record
- Scott Johnson, Managing Editor - Journal Record
- American Newspapers Representatives
84 S. 6th ST #601
Minneapolis, MN 55402
- Alabama Press Association
2027 1st AVE N Suite 1100
Birmingham, AL 35203
- American Newspapers Representatives
- Commissions and Terms of Payment
- a. Local Rate is non-commissionable and available only to local retail service establishments dealing directly with consumers in our circulation area.
- b. No cash discount allowed.
- c. All accounts are due and payable by the 10th of the month following service.
- d. A service charge of 1.5% per month will be levied on any unpaid balance at the end of the month. The minimum service charge is $1.00.
- Advertising Rate Policies
- a. Special page request is 25% extra.
- b. Liability for errors shall not exceed the cost of the space occupied by the error for the first insertion only.
- c. All responsibility for errors in ads which are proofed by the advertiser and not marked for correction rest solely with the advertiser.
- d. All political ads are cash in advance, to be paid when ad is placed for insertion.
- e. Charges may be made for excessive changes or alterations from the original copy or layout.
- f. Charges may be made for composition and layout time when ad is cancelled prior to insertion.
- g. Any sales or gross receipts tax levied during the term of this contract will be passed on to the advertiser.
- h. Mid-South Newspapers, Inc. reserves the right to cancel all advertising without notice when an account is 15 days past due or the advertiser becomes insolvent, makes an assignment for benefit of creditors or is adjudged bankrupt or a receiver of property appointed. In any which case, the earned rate will apply.
- i. Failure of Mid-South Newspapers, Inc. to enforce those provisions in any way shall not be construed as an abandonment of those rights at any time in the future.
- j. We reserve the right to change the rates at any time. Current contract holders will be given at least 30 days prior notice to the rate adjustment and have a no-penalty cancellation privilege at date of change.
- Retail Advertising Rates*
Open local rate $7.50 First insertion $7.50 5 column inch $7.35 16 column inch $7.15 32 column inch $6.88 65 column inch $6.67 97 column inch $6.51 129 column inch $6.35 258 column inch $6.20
*Earned rates apply for additional insertion (during the same month) - see below.
- Consistency Ads
Minimum Size Weekly 1 $6.60 3 $6.40 6 $6.25 12 $6.15 24 $6.05
- 13 week minimum.
- Column inch rate.
- Two copy changes allowed per each 13 week period.
- Rates are designed for the small advertiser.
- Pre-printed Insert Rates*
Weekly Up to 12 page tab $50M 16 page tab $60M 20 page tab $70M 24 page tab $75M 32 page tab $80M
Zoned inserts add $5 per M.
*The quantity of inserts billed to the advertiser may vary based upon the actual number of copies of the newspaper and/or TMC vehicle distributed within the geographic area which the advertiser has designated to receive the advertising message. The actual number of copies distributed may vary from time to time and may differ from published circulation figures. The actual number of inserts to be billed to the advertiser will be furnished by the publisher's representative prior to publication.
- Pre-print Delivery
- a. Preferably 3 days in advance.
- b. Bundled, boxed or on skids.
- c. Delivery from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. to:
Mid-South Newspapers, Inc.
1530 21st ST
Haleyville, AL 35565
- Color Rates
Available every issue, no minimum size.
- a. Spot color . . . . . . . . .$75.00
- b. Process color . . . . .$225.00
- Special Services
- a. Proof will be delivered if requested for ads thirty inches or more, providing all copy has been submitted by deadline. All other ads will be available for proofing at our office.
- b. Tear sheets will be provided, if requested, to all advertisers.
- c. Advertising layout service available to our advertisers.
- d. Clip art services, including contemporary cuts and illustrations, are available for ads at no charge to advertisers.
- ROP Depth Measurements
- a. Standard page: Six columns to the page, 21.5 inches deep.
- b. Ads will be billed in 0.25 inch increments.
- c. Any ad over 20 inches in depth on a standard page will be charged for the full page depth of 21 1/2 inches.
- d. The gutter on a double truck is billed as 1/2 of a column times the depth of the ad.
- Contract and Copy Regulations
- a. Mid-South Newspapers, Inc. reserves the right to refuse any or all of an advertisement until said is printed and distributed and to refuse the same or similar ads even if publication has occurred previously.
- b. We reserve the right to insert the word "advertisement" in all ads, especially "all-copy" ads which may be mistaken for news articles.
- c. All rates on this schedule are net and non-commissionable to agencies.
- d. Every effort will be made to meet reasonable position requests. Failure to meet these requests will not constitute cause for adjustments, refund or rerun.
- 3:00 p.m. Monday for Wednesday Edition.
- Mechanical Requirements
Columns Inches Wide 1 1.604 2 3.333 3 5.062 4 6.792 5 8.521 6 10.25 Columns Inches Wide 1 1.95 2 4.025 3 6.1 4 8.175 5 10.25
- a. Newspaper: standard advertising units 6-columns. Classified columns are 9. (Call for sizes)
- b. Double truck (two facing pages across gutter): 21.25 inches wide x 21.50 inches deep. Billed as 12.5 columns wide.
- c. Tabloid size. Size of printed area: 10.25 inches wide x 10.25 inches deep. 5 columns to a page.
- d. Printing method: High quality offset press using computer to plate composition. For best reproduction of pre-make ready materials, PDF files are preferred. High resolution composite or pre-separated files are acceptable. EPS files can be used if both screen and printer fonts are provided. Negatives are output at 1270 dpi and 85-100lpi.
- Classified Rates
- a. Classified display rate is same as ROP.
- b. Reader ads are 0.32¢ per word with a $10.00 minimum.
- National Rates
- a. $11.30 per inch or 0.60¢ per line less 15% to recognized agency.
- Circulation & History
- The Northwest Alabamian was established in 1906 and has a long history of service to Winston and Marion counties. It was incorporated into Mid-South Newspapers in the early 60's and the Journal Record, a sister newspaper, began it's publication in the early 70's to better serve both counties. Both newspapers are printed at one central location in Haleyville, Alabama.
Northwest Alabamian - 7500*
Journal Record - 8500*
*The actual number of copies distributed may vary from time to time and may differ from published circulation figures.
PO Box 430
Haleyville, AL 35565-0430
PO Drawer 1477
Hamilton, AL 35570-1477