Haleyville receives $450,000 grant

HALEYVILLE - Rough surface streets, drainage problems, deterioration of a water line and the potential for a catastrophic sewer failure, all in the Mineral Springs area, will be fixed and averted now that the City of Haleyville has received a $450,000 Community Development Block Grant.
Announcement of the grant came Monday, Nov. 23, in letters from Governor Kay Ivey and Kenneth Boswell, director of the Alabama Department of Economic and Community Affairs. Funds are being provided through ADECA, which receives the money from the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development.
Areas in which improvements will be made are on Seventh Avenue, Seventh Avenue South, 13th Street and 17th Street. It will benefit approximately 93 individuals in 43 households for street and drainage activity, with 80 individuals in 37 households for the water portion and 75 individuals in 36 households for the sewer upgrade.
The total estimated project cost in a report from City Engineer Calvin Cassady is $607,361.80. With the grant of $450,000, this leaves a local match from the city and the Haleyville Water Works and Sewer Board of $157,361.80. The HWWSB will pay 64 percent of the local match, with the City of Haleyville paying the other 36 percent.
“The damaged and broken pavement produces daily wear and tear on the vehicles of residents, the postal service, utility workers and delivery services,” the grant application reveals. “More importantly, the damaged streets pose a safety hazard to individuals who bike or walk the neighborhood streets. Poor shoulder conditions and an ineffective storm drainage system disrupt the existing asphalt roadbeds and create a threat to vehicular traffic with potholes and standing rainwater in the streets.”

 

 


See complete story in the Northwest Alabamian.
Subscribe now!