Community Action receives funds to help with water costs

WINSTON/MARION - Gov. Kay Ivey has awarded grants totaling $11.1 million to help low-income households with water service costs statewide.
The grants for the Low-Income Household Water Assistance Program will enable community service agencies to aid with residential water and wastewater services costs for low-income households in all 67 counties. A priority is given to the elderly, people with disabilities and families with young children. To qualify for assistance, household income must not exceed 150 percent of the federally established poverty level.  
Community Action Partnership of North Alabama Inc., which represents Winston, Marion, Cullman, Lawrence and Morgan counties, received $690,014 in grant funding.  Franklin County, which is represented by the Community Action Agency of Northwest Alabama Inc., along with Colbert and Lauderdale counties, will share in $285,132 in grant funding.  The Walker County Community Action Agency Inc., will receive $201,218.
“Low-income families often need assistance in paying for necessities during difficult times, and access to clean, fresh water is vital to any household,” Gov. Ivey said. “These grants will provide emergency assistance with water bills so that families will have less worry about access to water service.”
 Gov. Ivey awarded the grants to 18 community agencies that will manage the program at the local level and receive applications from individuals seeking assistance.
 The Alabama Department of Economic and Community Affairs is administering the grants from a one-time allocation made available by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.
 “ADECA stands with Gov. Ivey in supporting those who need help most with covering vital utility bills,” ADECA Director Kenneth Boswell said. “These partnerships with local community agencies ensure that those who truly need assistance have access to it.”
For more information and to check eligibilty, Winston, Marion, Cullman and Lawrence county residents should call (256) 355-7843.  Franklin County residents should call (256) 766-4330 and Walker County residents should call (205_ 221-4010.

See complete story in the Northwest Alabamian.
Subscribe now!